As negotiated in our contract, Article V, Section G
"Expense reimbursement shall be in accord with the applicable County guidelines per conference regardless of the location of the conference or the date of application for conference attendance.
Recommendation shall not be refused for a conference professionally connected to the faculty member's discipline or his/her professional responsibilities or retraining program. Permission shall not be refused for faculty members who do not have scheduled duties on the date of a conference which would otherwise be proper under the above rules. The appropriate Administrator shall have discretion to approve one or more members who have scheduled duties, if this seems desirable.
If the application for conference attendance is submitted at least six (6) weeks in advance of such conference, the faculty member shall receive at least two (2) weeks' prior notice from the Administration concerning the application.
The faculty member shall have the option to take a College car or his/her personal vehicle or travel by mass transit. Mileage claims for use of personal vehicle or mass transportation will be in accordance with County guidelines."
The two-year reimbursement cycle begins on an odd year and applies to all full-time faculty. Compensation is based upon the latest Memorandum of Agreement effective September 1, 2015, through August 31, 2019:
September 2015 to August 31, 2017: up to $1,700
September 2017: up to $1,800
For example, a faculty member may use $1,500 in June 2015 and be eligible to receive up to $1,700 effective September 1, 2015. However, additional funding would not be available to that faculty member until September 1, 2017, at which point the amount would be $1,800.
Before the Conference
- Complete the pre-approval form titled Application for Contractual Conference Attendance and submit it at least six weeks before the conference (to ensure notification at least two weeks before your conference begins).
- Estimate the maximum amounts for each line item, in keeping with college policy, and double check the list of expenses that are not covered to avoid having your reimbursement delayed or denied. The food allowance is $12 per meal, no receipts required, provided that the conference agenda indicates that no meals were provided for you during the conference. (Eligibility for breakfasts and dinners requires the start or end of the conference four hours before or after your normal work hours.)
- Attach to the form your documentation verifying the conference and your intent to attend, i.e., a preliminary program, acceptance of a presentation or paper, etc.
- Obtain your supervisor’s signature indicating approval.
- Submit the form to your department secretary, who will send it to your campus business office where they will review all forms and may contact you with questions/suggestions for conforming the form to college/county policy, ensuring timely payment and processing, etc.
It then goes to your campus executive dean for approval. Campus executive dean approval is required to ensure reimbursement; if you do not receive notice of approval before you go to the conference, double check. Once you have approval, reimbursement is guaranteed by our contract.
Your department secretary will create the necessary forms in Banner. A confirmation purchase order (P.O.) number will be sent to your home once the process is complete.
After the Conference
- Within three months of your return from the conference, complete a Travel Expense Voucher as well as a College Business/Contractual Travel Payment Request form, and attach to it the original conference application signed by your campus executive dean.
- Attach all the following mandatory documentation verifying our conference attendance including:
a) original receipts for all itemized expenses, with separate receipts for any shared expenses like hotel rooms;
b) the original badge, brochure, and registration receipts;
c) a conference report summarizing your conference activities;
d) proof of meals provided (or not) at the conference, e.g., the brochure/agenda, and itemize all claimed meals, indicating date and type of meal; and
e) your airline ticket/itinerary, if applicable.
- Submit the voucher to your department secretary who will forward it for final processing. Inquiries should be directed to the department secretary or directly to the Central Business Office.
You should know that unless the total amount claimed is more than the initially approved cost or additional items not originally included have been added, you should need to do no more and you should receive timely payment.