Suffolk Community College
A Community of Union Professionals
New Member Program Year-at-a-Glance
- Fall new hires and their mentors will meet. Aim to touch base about once per week after the first meeting.
- Arrange for a mentor/new member lunch. The FA will reimburse mentors for up to $40. Although you may schedule the lunch for any time during the fall semester, we recommend doing so as soon as you can.
- New members hired during the previous spring semester can also have one additional lunch with their mentors during this fall semester and receive reimbursement from the FA for up to $40.
- Fall new hires will be added to the listserv for The Undercurrent, the FA New Member Program blog, where the New Member Program Chair will blog about different topics pertinent to new faculty on all three campuses. Visit the blog's archives to gain a sense of the program's history - as well as tips on how to navigate your first year!
- Attend the New Member Bagel Brunch. This serves as an opportunity for mentors and new members to meet up, and for new members become acquainted with the FA officers and FA New Member Program Campus Coordinator. There will also be opportunities to ask questions and share experiences.
- Keep in touch. Make plans to attend the FA Holiday Party with your mentor. New members will receive an invitation to attend at no cost.
- Attend the FA Holiday Party. Have fun!
- Spring new hires will be matched with a mentor. Try to meet up as soon as possible and continue to do so once per week for the month following.
- Spring semester new hires and their mentors will be added to the listserv for The Undercurrent.
- New members hired during the previous fall semester can also have one additional lunch with their mentors during this spring semester and receive reimbursement from the FA for up to $40.
- Keep in touch, even (or especially) when your time at work becomes really, really busy.
- New members and their mentors will receive an invitation to the annual Spring New Member Social, which usually takes place on the first Friday in May.
- Attend the Spring New Member Social!
Faculty Association - Suffolk Community College - Southampton Building 224J
533 College Rd - Selden, NY 11784-2899
Phone (631) 451-4151 - Fax (631) 732-4584 - Email email@example.com
©2010, Faculty Association, Suffolk Community College.